Russian Silver Dining Fork: monogram
A humble Russian silver dining fork bearing a rather nicely engraved monogram “C O” entwined. About 205 mm long, 75g / 2.41 oz Troy in what, if it was English, would be Fiddle Pattern.Showing the TROINIK (Triple) marks in use since 1882.The AK mark for Assay Master Antip Kuzmichev, Moscow, working 1856-1897; this item assayed in 1882.The finesse mark of 84 Zolotniki equivalent to .875 Silver. The town mark for Moscow.
In addition (and this is nice) the Eagle mark of the Imperial double headed eagle in a circle compulsory for Silver wares for the Kremlin over the maker’s mark for Mikhail Ovchinikov, Moscow, working 1835-1882, purveyors to the Tsar. The Tsar in 1882 was Alexander III, father of the ill-fated Nicholas II. By definition a kremlin is a “fortress inside a city” and the kremlin site in Moscow has been inhabited since C2nd AD. In the C15th, Grand Prince Ivan III organised the reconstruction of the buildings at the site.
Inside the complex is the Grand Kremlin Palace, built in the mid C19th and formerly the Moscow residence of the Tsars.